Smith & Nephew plc is a medical technology company that designs, manufactures, and sells medical devices and equipment for surgical and wound care markets. The company is publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) under the ticker symbol SN and listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the same ticker symbol. As of this post, SN’s Share Price is at 1,280.35
Smith & Nephew plc had a market capitalisation of around £17.4 billion (approximately USD 23.7 billion), and its stock price on the LSE was trading at around £13.86 per share.
Smith & Nephew plc has a long and rich history of over 160 years. The company was founded in 1856 by Thomas James Smith, who opened a small pharmacy in Hull, England, where he sold his brand of surgical dressings. In 1937, Smith & Nephew merged with a rival company, British Tabulating Machine Company (BTM), to form Smiths Industries.
In 1999, Smiths Industries demerged its healthcare division, which became Smith & Nephew plc. Since then, the company has focused on developing and manufacturing medical devices and equipment for the global surgical and wound care markets. Today, Smith & Nephew plc is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies, with operations in more than 100 countries and a broad portfolio of products across multiple medical specialities.
Over the years, Smith & Nephew plc has undergone numerous acquisitions and divestitures to expand its product portfolio and geographic reach. Some notable acquisitions include the orthopaedic businesses of the Swiss company Mathys Medical and US-based ArthroCare Corporation. In addition, the company has also divested non-core businesses, such as its gynaecology and urology businesses, to focus on its core areas of expertise.
Overall, Smith & Nephew plc has a long history of innovation and leadership in the medical technology industry and continues to invest in research and development to drive future growth and success.
SN Share Price is a leading player in the global medical technology industry, with a strong market position in several key product categories, such as orthopaedics, sports medicine, and wound care. This market position gives the company a competitive advantage and helps to support its long-term growth prospects.
The company has a broad portfolio of products across multiple medical specialities, which helps to mitigate risk and provides a stable source of revenue. The company’s products include joint replacement implants, sports medicine devices, wound care products, and advanced surgical technologies.
SN Share Price has a global presence, with operations in over 100 countries, which provides geographic diversity and exposure to multiple economies. This diversification helps to reduce risk and provides a stable source of revenue.
SN Share Price has a solid financial track record, consistent revenue and earnings growth over the past several years. The company has also demonstrated strong cash flow generation and has a solid balance sheet, which could support future growth initiatives.
- Johnson & Johnson (J&J). J&J is a multinational medical device, pharmaceutical, and consumer goods company. The company’s medical devices division competes with Smith & Nephew plc in orthopaedics, sports medicine, and wound care.
- Stryker Corporation. Stryker is a leading global medical technology company specialising in orthopaedics, medical and surgical, neurotechnology, and spine products. The company competes with Smith & Nephew plc in joint replacement implants, sports medicine devices, and advanced surgical technologies.
- Medtronic plc. Medtronic is a multinational medical technology company that develops and manufactures medical devices across various specialities, including cardiac and vascular, minimally invasive, and restorative therapies. In addition, the company competes with Smith & Nephew plc in wound care, joint replacement, and sports medicine.
- Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc. Zimmer Biomet is a global medical technology company specialising in musculoskeletal healthcare. The company’s products include joint replacement, trauma, sports medicine, spine, and dental implants. Zimmer Biomet competes with Smith & Nephew plc in joint replacement implants and sports medicine devices.
- ConvaTec Group plc. ConvaTec is a global medical products and technologies company specialising in advanced wound care, ostomy care, continence and critical care, and infusion devices. The company competes with Smith & Nephew plc in wound care products.