Barratt Developments PLC is a publicly traded company on the London Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol BDEV. As of my knowledge cutoff date of September 2021, the company had a market capitalization of approximately £9.2 billion. As of this post, Barratt’s Share Price is at 466.50 GBp.
Barratt Developments is one of the largest residential property development companies in the United Kingdom, with operations throughout England, Scotland, and Wales. The company’s primary business involves constructing and selling new homes to customers, although it also engages in some commercial property development activities.
Barratt Developments PLC was founded in 1958 by Sir Lawrie Barratt, who started the business as a housebuilder in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. In its early years, the company focused on building affordable housing for first-time buyers, which helped it to increase and become one of the largest housebuilders in the United Kingdom.
During the 1980s and 1990s, Barratt Developments expanded its operations through acquisitions and mergers. In 1986, the company merged with another housebuilder, A.W. Wimpey, to form a new company called Barratt Wimpey. The merged company grew and acquired several other housebuilding firms, including McAlpine Homes, Broseley Homes, and Wilson Connolly Holdings.
In 2001, Barratt Wimpey changed its name back to Barratt Developments, and the company continued to grow through both organic growth and acquisitions. In 2012, the company completed a merger with another major UK housebuilder, Taylor Wimpey, to form the largest residential property developer in the country at the time.
Today, Barratt Developments is one of the leading housebuilders in the United Kingdom, with a strong reputation for quality and customer service. The company won numerous awards for its work, including the Housebuilder of the Year award from the industry publication Building in 2019.
Advantages of investing in Barratt Developments may include:
- Strong market position. Barratt Developments is one of the UK’s largest and most established residential property developers, with a strong brand and reputation for quality and customer service.
- Diversified operations. The company has a diverse portfolio of developments across England, Scotland, and Wales, which helps to spread risk and mitigate the impact of regional economic fluctuations.
- Positive industry trends. The UK housing market has shown resilience in recent years. The demand for new homes remains high, partly driven by population growth, low-interest rates, and government policies to increase homeownership.
However, like all investments, investing in Barratt Developments carries risks. Some potential risks to consider include the following:
- Economic risks. Various macroeconomic factors influence the housing market, including interest rates, inflation, and employment levels. As a result, economic downturns can negatively impact property values and the demand for new homes.
- Market competition. Barratt Developments faces significant competition from other major UK housebuilders and smaller regional developers.
- Regulatory risks. The UK government has introduced several policies in recent years to increase the supply of affordable housing, which could potentially impact the profitability of Barratt Developments and other property developers. Additionally, changes in government policy, such as changes to planning regulations, could also impact the company’s operations.
Main Competitors of Barratt Development PLC
Barratt Developments PLC operates in a competitive market and faces competition from several other major homebuilders in the United Kingdom. Some of its main competitors include:
- Persimmon Homes. Persimmon is one of the largest housebuilders in the UK, with a market capitalization similar to that of Barratt Developments. The company operates across England, Wales, and Scotland and focuses on building affordable homes.
- Taylor Wimpey. Taylor Wimpey is another major UK housebuilder with operations across the UK and Spain. The company focuses on building homes for first-time buyers and families and has a solid sustainable development track record.
- Redrow Homes. Redrow is a UK-based residential developer with operations across England and Wales. The company focuses on building high-quality homes in desirable locations and has a strong reputation for customer service.
- Bovis Homes. Bovis is a UK housebuilder with operations in England, Wales, and Scotland. The company focuses on building homes in high-demand areas and has recently expanded its operations in the affordable housing sector.
- Bellway Homes. Bellway is a UK-based residential developer operating across England, Scotland, and Wales. The company focuses on building a range of homes, from affordable apartments to large family homes, and has a strong track record of growth and profitability.