The London Stock Exchange (LSE) has listed Legal and General Group PLC as a publicly traded company. In addition, it’s listed under the ticker symbol “LGEN.” As of September 2021, Legal and General Group PLC had a market capitalization of approximately £14 billion. Legal and General Share Price as of this post is at 225.30 GBp.
The market’s supply and demand determine Legal and General Group PLC’s stock price. As a result, the company’s financial performance and broader economic and industry trends can affect its stock price. Investors are interested in purchasing shares of Legal and General Group PLC can do so through a broker or online trading platform that offers access to the LSE.
Here’s a brief history of the company:
- 1836: Legal and General is founded as a legal firm by Sergeant John Adams and five other lawyers in London.
- 1879: Legal and General introduces its first life insurance policy.
- 1908: The company becomes a mutual organization, meaning that policyholders become owners of the company.
- 1970s: Legal and General expands its business by offering pension plans and investments.
- 1980s: Legal and General becomes a public limited company (PLC) and begins trading on the London Stock Exchange.
- 1990s: The company acquires several businesses, including Blyth & Blyth, a leading UK residential property surveying company, and Cofunds, a retail investment platform.
- 2000s: Legal and General continues to expand its business through acquisitions and partnerships, including the purchase of Suffolk Life, a provider of self-invested personal pensions (SIPPs), and a partnership with Santander to offer life insurance products in Spain.
- 2010s: Legal and General expands its investment management business and becomes a leader in sustainable investing. The company also launches a digital platform to offer retail customers access to its investment products.
Today, Legal and General Group PLC is one of the largest financial services companies in the UK, offering a range of products and services, including life insurance, pensions, investments, and general insurance.
The potential advantages of investing in Legal and General Group PLC are based on historical performance and market analysis.
- Diversified Business Model. Legal and General Group PLC is a well-diversified financial services company offering various products and services, such as life insurance, pensions, investments, and general insurance. This diversified business model can help mitigate risks and provide a stable source of revenue.
- Strong Financial Performance. Legal and General Group PLC has a strong track record of financial performance. The company has consistently delivered solid earnings growth, and its return on equity (ROE) has been above the industry average. This suggests that the company is efficiently using its capital to generate profits.
- Growing Demand for Financial Services. As people live longer and need to save more for retirement, there is a growing demand for financial services such as life insurance, pensions, and investments. Legal and General Group PLC is well-positioned to benefit from this trend.
- Focus on Sustainable Investing. Legal and General Group PLC is a leader in sustainable investing, focusing on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors. This can help attract investors who are interested in socially responsible investing.
- Strong Brand. Legal and General Group PLC has a strong brand reputation, which can help attract customers and investors. In addition, the company has won numerous awards for its products and services, which can help build trust with investors.
Main Competitors of Legal and General
Legal and General Group PLC operates in a highly competitive industry and faces competition from companies offering similar financial products and services. Here are some of Legal and General Group PLC’s main competitors:
- Prudential. A British multinational life insurance and financial services company and one of the largest insurers in the world. The company offers a range of products and services, including life insurance, pensions, and investments.
- Aviva. A British multinational insurance company offering various products, including life insurance, pensions, investments, and general insurance.
- Standard Life Aberdeen. A British multinational investment company offering various investment management services, including pensions and savings products.
- Aegon. A Dutch multinational life insurance and pension company offering various products and services, including life insurance, pensions, and investments.
- Legal & General Investment Management (LGIM). The investment management arm of Legal and General Group PLC and one of the largest asset managers in Europe. It competes with other asset managers such as BlackRock, Vanguard, and Fidelity Investments.