The London Stock Exchange has publicly traded the Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust under the ticker SMT. It continues to hold a reputation as one of the largest investment trusts in the UK. The SMT focuses on long-term growth investing in global equities. As of this post, the Scottish Mortgage Share Price is 651.40 GBp.
Investors can purchase Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust shares through a stockbroker or online trading platform. The price of the shares will fluctuate based on supply and demand in the market and factors that affect the underlying companies in which the trust has invested.
The United Kingdom considers this company one of the oldest investment trusts in the country. Founded in 1909, it was established to invest in diverse global equities, focusing on long-term growth.
Over the years, the trust has been managed by several different investment managers. This includes Baillie Gifford & Co., its sole manager since 1909. Baillie Gifford manages a range of equity and fixed-income products for institutional and retail investors.
Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust has had a long history of delivering solid returns to its shareholders. In recent years, the trust has become particularly well-known for investing in the world’s leading technology companies, such as Amazon, Tesla, and Alibaba.
Today, Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust is one of the largest investment trusts in the UK, with assets under management of over £16 billion as of September 2021. Baille Gifford continues to manage the company. In addition, the London Stock Exchange also has the company listed under the ticker SMT.
There are several potential advantages to investing in Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust:
- Diversification. Scottish Mortgage invests in diverse global equities as an investment trust, exposing investors to various companies and industries. This can help spread risk across different regions and sectors, reducing the impact of any one company or market on the trust’s overall performance.
- Active management. Baillie Gifford manages Scottish Mortgage. Baillie Gifford also has a reputation as a respected investment management firm with a long-term, growth-oriented investment philosophy. Baillie Gifford’s active management approach means the trust’s portfolio is regularly reviewed and adjusted to take advantage of new investment opportunities.
- Long-term focus. Scottish Mortgage’s investment strategy focuses on long-term growth, with a willingness to invest in companies that may take years or even decades to reach their full potential. This means the trust may be less susceptible to short-term market fluctuations and better positioned to capitalize on long-term trends and innovations.
- Track record. Scottish Mortgage continues to deliver solid returns to its shareholders. Over the past ten years, the trust has delivered an average annual return of over 25%, significantly outperforming the broader market.
- Accessible. As a publicly traded investment trust, individual investors can easily access Scottish Mortgage through stockbrokers or online trading platforms. In addition, the trust allows its investors with relatively low minimum investment amount to benefit from its professional management and diversification.
Main Competitors of Scottish Mortgage
Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust focuses on long-term growth by investing primarily in equities, focusing on long-term growth. While many other investment trusts and funds invest in equities, Scottish Mortgage’s unique investment strategy, and global reach make it somewhat distinctive within the industry.
However, other investment trusts and funds may be considered competitors or peers to Scottish Mortgage. Some of these include:
- Fidelity Global Special Situations Fund
- Baillie Gifford Global Discovery Fund
- Monks Investment Trust
- Alliance Trust